SIGRAV2018 will be held between 9 and 15 September 2018; Sunday, September 9th is the arrival day, Sunday, September 16th is the departure day. The conference will run from the early morning of Monday, September 10th to the morning of Saturday, September 15th.
SIGRAV2018 will take place in the conference center of Hotel Resort Flamingo in Santa Margherita di Pula near Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy). Participants can lodge wherever they like, but they are offered a special fare for the four-star Hotel Flamingo or the nearby (300 m walk through the trees) three-star Hotel Mare Pineta, belonging to the same resort. See also the Venue page.
HOW TO GET THERE
The conference location is more conveniently reached via Cagliari. If you fly to Sardinia the (by far) most convenient option is the Cagliari-Elmas airport (IATA airport code: CAG). If you travel by car from mainland Italy, there are ferries reaching the Cagliari port; from there, there will be a 30- to 40-minute drive depending on traffic conditions. You can also get ferries to Porto Torres (North-West Sardinia) or to Olbia and Porto Aranci (North-East), but in these cases you should expect a much longer road travel. If you arrive by ferry in Cagliari with no car, the ARST (public coaches) station is just outside the port; from there you find frequent service to Pula and Hotel Flamingo. In case of requests, transfer by taxi can be arranged.
The Flamingo Hotel has reached its full capability for Tuesday 11th and Wednesday 12th September. Presently there are no more available rooms for these dates. Participants wishing to reserve a room at the Hotel Flamingo for a period including the 11th or the 12th September will be put in a waiting list.
Alternatively, rooms can be booked in small Hotels or B&Bs at walking distances from the Hotel Flamingo. Here is a list of such small Hotels and B&Bs:
- Camping Village Flumendosa
- Villa Santa Margherita di Pula
- Villa Sara
- Villa Manuela
- Casa Zedda
- Hotel Costa dei fiori
- B&B S’Olivario
- B&B la Villetta
- Residence Baia delle Palme
- Hotel Rurale Orti di Nora
A further possibility is to book a room in one of the many hotels in the nearby town of Pula, around 6 km away from the Hotel Flamingo. There is a regular bus line connecting Pula city center with the Flamingo Hotel (for the bus timetable click here).
TRANSFER FROM CAGLIARI AREA TO THE FLAMINGO HOTEL
The following gives you the essential information to reach the Hotel Flamingo from your arrival point in the Cagliari area if you do NOT have a car (own or rented). The hotel has long-running agreement with a car-with-chauffeur company, this will be referred to later on as “hotel taxi”, albeit it is not a taxi and it is not directly linked to the hotel.
(1) Conference shuttle: On Sunday 9th September and Sunday 16th September there will be a shuttle between the Cagliari Airport and the Flamingo Hotel. The one-way fare, to be paid at the registration desk upon registration, is €20 per person. An e-mail with subject “Conference Shuttle and Excursion” will be sent to all registered participants around August 15th. Those participants wishing to use the conference shuttle should reply to this e-mail indicating their flight details and the number of persons.
(2) Hotel taxi: The fare is €80 (max 3 persons). We can book it from directly from the hotel.
(3) Public transport: The Cagliari city centre can be reached by train from the Elmas Aeroporto train station, 5-minute walk from the terminal. The rail service is active between 5:00 and 21:00 with 20 minutes average frequency and takes five to seven minutes. The train ticket can be bought at the vending machines in the station and the one-way fare is 1.30€. Alternatively, a taxi ride costs roughly between 15€ and 20€. The Cagliari coach station (ARST) is located in via Sassari, near the train station, see below.
(4) Regular taxi: You can also get a regular taxi at the airport. In this case you should discuss the fare with the driver, but it should not be too different from the one required by the Hotel taxi (they asked us to stress that they have the advantage of high standing car and personnel, etc); in principles you might have to wait for a regular taxi, but we trust this would not be the case in mid September (contrary to what would happen in full season).
Getting out of the port does now require passing through some security check. This will waste some time but will also make sure you will be out of there just in front of the coach and train stations.
FROM CAGLIARI TRAIN STATION
If you arrive in Cagliari by train, get out of the train station through the main (front) exit; the building on your right is the coach station.
(1) You can take a coach to Pula and then another one to Santa Margherita di Pula;
(2) You can get a coach to Santadi or Domus de Maria, and get off at the stop at km 33.800 on National Road (SS) 195 (in front of there a small straight road takes you to the Hotel, about 800 m walk); the journey takes approximately 60 minutes;
(3) You can get a taxi, either a hotel taxi or a regular taxi; the fares for the hotel taxi are the same as for the airport transfer;
(4) In case you want to rent a car, there is some company based near the port and hence the coach and train stations, but you find more options at the airport. In this case, consider that the train service from Cagliari to the airport is frequent (every 15’) and fast (less than 15’); the rental offices in the airport are next to the train station just see below for the “from station”.
A conference excursion to the ancient Roman and pre-Roman town of Nora located near Pula and to the beautiful beach of Chia, around 14 km from the Flamingo Hotel, will be organised on the afternoon of Wednesday, September 12th. For registered participants the excursion is included in the registration fee. The cost for accompanying persons is €25 per person. An e-mail with subject “Conference Shuttle and Excursion” will be sent to all registered participants around August 15th. Those participants wishing to join the excursion should reply to this e-mail also indicating the number of accompanying persons.